Forget everything you know about Call Of Battle-Modern-War-Duty-Field SpecOps Multiplayer, Madden Online, Street Fighter Online, FIFA Online, or any other online components to any other game, Grand Theft Auto Online is finally almost here and you know that if an online component comes out 2 weeks after the main game releases, it’s going to be a pretty big deal. Just about a month ago we were promised, heist missions, street races, robberies, gang warfare, off road adventures, skydiving and so much more with 16 of our buddies and people from around the world, given to us in the massive sprawling world that we’ve come to know and fall in love with in the last 2 weeks since the game’s release, and Rockstar has finally delivered some enticing information that will want us playing GTA Online for months and beyond.
At around 7:55 pm EST, Rockstar Games reported:
With just hours remaining until the initial launch of Grand Theft Auto Online, here’s some more information to share to help get everyone ready for tomorrow. You can also look forward to plenty of GTA Online game tips and other community support features to roll out at the Rockstar Games Social Club website tomorrow as well – expect tutorial tips to be updated regularly as new content is added to GTA Online.
Access to GTA Online
- Access to Grand Theft Auto Online is free with your copy of Grand Theft Auto V. On October 1st there will be a small downloadable Title Update released on PlayStation Network and Xbox LIVE. Upon installation of that Title Update, direct access to begin GTA Online will be unlocked in your GTAV game menu. You will be able to jump right into GTA Online via the 4th (bottom) slot in your GTAV character wheel. We’ve received many questions asking for a specific confirmation of what exact time GTA Online will be available but of course this is contingent on both Title Updates becoming available on each console’s network. As a general timeframe, we do expect the Title Update to become available on PSN and Xbox LIVE starting around 7AM ET tomorrow morning.
When does GTA Online Take Place?
- Some people who’ve been playing through Grand Theft Auto V’s Story Mode have been inquiring how the narrative of GTA Online correlates or crosses over. Grand Theft Auto Online is set a few months prior to the events of Grand Theft Auto V’s single player story.
So unfortunately we won’t be able play alongside the likes of Michael, Trevor or Franklin with our buddies wreaking havoc in Los Santos. As cool an idea as that seems. But maybe Lamar (pictured above right) will make an appearance.
Home and Garage Security
- There’s plenty of havoc and treachery you can cause out in the open world of course, but in order to prevent some really annoying “griefing”, we’ve designed house party invitations specifically to be a friendly social affair where players can visit each other’s pads without fear of having them ruined or losing their hard-earned vehicles in the process. If someone invites you into their property, then it is considered a friendly visit and you will not be able to shoot up their place or steal their cars from their garage. By the way, in any given lobby, if you and another player own the same piece of property, you will each be able to enter your own personal instance of that property at any given time. You will also be able to enter each other’s instance of that property if you exchange and accept an invite. This way, multiple instances of ownership of the same property within a lobby can co-exist.
Good news for those who wish to keep those griefers at bay and keep a secure environment. This also seems like a pretty secure and structured way of having a close circle of friends around and even have your crew members a home to stay in from the browser based Rockstar Social Club which is already a structured enough environment as it is, and we can only hope that the good people at Rockstar can work to make it an even more secure hack-free environment.
GTA$ and Fair Play
- To allay some concerns we’ve heard on this subject, we can assure you that the game is designed such that the option of purchasable GTA$ should not disrupt the playing field – and there are a few mechanics in place to help ensure that. All players still have to rank up with Reputation Points (RP) in order to get access to purchase high-end items. No one can begin GTA Online and simply spend a lot of money out of the gate to get a leg up. You will have to earn your stripes and play to unlock access to the aspirational clothes, guns and other items. Please also remember that in GTA Online, hustling to afford the finer things by earning GTA$ doing robberies, stick-ups, winning races and other profitable activities is a fun gameplay experience rather than ever being a ‘grind’. As we mentioned on Wednesday, we will constantly tweak all areas of the game to make it play fairer and iron out any balancing problems (while fixing all the other problems we encounter!), but we really need your help in figuring out what those issues are. So please work with us on that!
Another smart move from Rockstar. Those who want to go online and buy everything up with their millions of dollars already earned in the single player experience wont be able to do much without scoring some reputation first. That means committing to, planning, and executing heists with your friends, committing robberies and earning an honest living rom property already bought up.
An Ever-Growing Collection of Jobs
- Grand Theft Auto Online is a long-term GTA experience that you can expect to be built-upon, to grow and to evolve in many ways in the coming weeks, months and beyond. As part of that, there will be a massive amount of Jobs available to play over time as we will be regularly adding new ones for you to enjoy. Additionally, you will soon be helping to add content to the game world yourselves, by creating custom Race and Deathmatch Jobs through the Content Creator tool which we plan to release this fall. Grand Theft Auto Online is a collaborative project between Rockstar and all GTA players worldwide, so expect that we’ll effectively be working on it together from day one.
The part that will have us playing for months and probably even years, Rockstar will be working hard to bring us an ever flowing amount of content to keep us coming for more and have us doing more than we ever imagined in an online experience.
The Character Creation System
- The hereditary-based character creation system of Grand Theft Auto Online allows for a multitude of options to create your avatar that will then inhabit the online world of Los Santos & Blaine County. Choose your gender then decide on your mother and father. From there, you can choose to give one parent genetic dominance or leave them more evenly matched. The choice is yours. Next, you adjust a set of lifestyle variables which help determine your character’s appearance and starting stats. Decide how much sleep he/she gets, how much partying they indulge in, how much honest work versus illegal activity, and more. Essentially, you can adjust the genetics to wind up with a fresh faced lad or lass or a grizzled, haggard degenerate or anywhere in between!
Another interesting idea from Rockstar to ensure we get the best online experience possible. Of course after we have our parents matched up, we will be able to further customize our character’s clothing, hair cuts, style and accessories to suit our needs. At the end of the report, Rockstar then emphasized the importance of jumping into their Rockstar Social Club network to gain access to exclusive items when jumping online. Social Club members get access to weaponry and vehicular unlocks, a whole new suite of Crew features to represent and coordinate with your squad, and special tools to get the most out of Rockstar Jobs and user-created Jobs when the Content Creator tool launches this fall. Plus unlocks like the Sawed-Off Shotgun, the Annis Elegy RH8 and the John Marston Parent option to do the Marston family proud in the modern day West. Unfortunately, according to a source at IGN, online Heist missions won’t be released until later in the month of October. Hopefully very soon.
All of this information and more can be found at Rockstar’s site here, and for more news on Grand Theft Auto, and other games, consoles and even a review for the GTA Online component coming later, stay tuned to RTV.